Concurrent Master's Enrolled Student Information

In what is to follow you will find some useful information to help you plan and find support as you work to complete both your undergraduate and graduate degrees at Harvard.

Step 1: Planning Worksheet

Download the planning worksheet  to sketch out a strategy to complete all remaining requirements

Remember: that you may double count ONLY 16 credits (generally 4 courses) toward both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees

Remember: that if a course is not double counting and will be allocated to the master’s degree, it CANNOT be used to fulfill any undergraduate requirement

Step 2: Meet with Graduate Program

Your graduate program will most likely request that you file some paperwork to establish your plan of study and sketch how you will fulfill the requirements for the master’s degree. You will work with your graduate advisor, Director of Graduate Studies, or the department Program Administrator to complete this process. The graduate program will NOT be tracking your undergraduate program, so it will be important to stay connected with your concentration advisor and your Resident Dean.

Step 3: Seek Guidance

Along the way it will be important for you to seek support and coordinate your requirements and efforts between the undergraduate and graduate degree programs.

Master’s degree advising—your master’s degree program will assign you an academic advisor or you may work directly with the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) or the Program Administrator. (Check with your graduate program to see whether your first point of contact is the department Program Administrator or the DGS.) Note: Graduate advisors will NOT be familiar with your undergraduate program of study or the requirements or overlap between the two degrees.

You should work with this advisor to help:

· Complete a plan to fulfill your graduate program requirements

· Discuss sequencing of required graduate courses

· Facilitate a clear understanding of the graduate program

Concentration advisor—you are most likely already familiar with your undergraduate concentration advisor and should continue to consult with this person, the Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS) or the Undergraduate Program Administrator for assistance with things related to your concentration. Note: Concentration advisors will NOT be familiar with your graduate program of study or the requirements or overlap between the two degrees.

You should work with this advisor to help:

· Complete a plan to fulfill your concentration program requirements

· Discuss sequencing or required concentration requirements

· Facilitate a clear understanding of the concentration and that specific field of study

Resident Dean—you are most likely familiar with your Resident Dean and the role they play to help you navigate your undergraduate course of study. You should continue to consult your Resident Dean about things related to your undergraduate experience.

· You should work with this advisor to help:

· Navigate academic support resources

· Discuss and understand the impact that pursuing the concurrent master’s degree may have on the undergraduate degree

· Confirm that you are fulfilling all undergraduate degree requirements

· Point you to the right advisor when it is unclear

Step 4: Submit Course Allocation to Registrar at the beginning of your final term you will need to complete the Registrar’s Concurrent Master's Course Allocation Form. In order to officially allocate courses to the master’s degree transcript (Deadline: 5th Monday of the term in which you intend to graduate)






concurrentplanningworksheet.docx38 KB
Overview: Concurrent Masters Program PDF1.76 MB